All about us
Wm Gilchrist Funeral Directors are the oldest in Aberdeen with roots as far back as 1896.
In the early 20th century, Wm Gilchrist moved to much larger premises on Bon-Accord Street in Aberdeen to enable the expansion of their services into the cab hire business along with Campbell and Sellers Chauffeurs in an ever growing and affluent City.
Wm Gilchrist Funeral directors remained at the Bon-Accord Street address until 1989 where the purchase of a property on Rose Street made it a possibility to develop a funeral home that would provide our clients with dedicated surroundings and a service superior to other Funeral Directors in Aberdeen. Our Rose Street Funeral Home provides 9 private Chapels of Rest and a Service Chapel which comfortably seats 98 people.
Wm Gilchrist again led the way in 1992 with the opening of a Bereavement Care Centre in Upperkirkgate.
Wm Gilchrist Funeral Home in Kaimhill, Aberdeen was established in 1935 originally as Aberdeen’s first crematorium, and served the community for 40 years, closing in November 1975. Due to the growing population, it was deemed that the crematorium would not support the growing community and was closed upon the development of a new modern crematorium, Hazlehead.
After the closure of the crematorium, the city council made a commitment to ensure that the building remained open to allow the public to pay their respects and visit the book of remembrance situated in the corridor of the building.
In 2001, the building opened once again as a funeral home, and in 2006 was acquired by the Wm Gilchrist family. To this day, the premises is still located in the beautiful tranquil rose gardens in Kaimhill. Recently, Wm Gilchrist underwent a major refurbishment of the interior to help provide a higher quality of services to the Kaimhill community in their time of need.
Wm Gilchrist Bucksburn Funeral Home has been located on the outskirts of the city of Aberdeen for over 30 years. In the late 1970s, Aberdeen City Council embarked on a road widening project through the heart of Woodside aimed at easing congestion and to ensure a more open route. This project involved compulsory property and land purchases (including our original funeral home in Woodside) this in turn, necessitated the eventual relocation of our funeral home in Woodside to our present location in Oldmedrum Road in Bucksburn.
We value our team and are extremely proud to have staff that have individually celebrated over 25 years with us and some over 39 years within funeral services. We believe this is important to continue the close relationship we have built with our community over generations.